Wednesday, March 28, 2012

I don't hate running...

I still don't like running, but I dont hate it anymore. I honestly don't think I had ever ran a mile in my life, until I started preparing for a 5k race in January. Growing up (and still to this day) I prefer horseback riding (I used to compete hunter jumper), water skiing and snow skiing. While those are all good workouts, they in no way require running. Which is probably why I like them :)

Anyway, I made a list of 30 things to do before I turned 30 and running a 5k was one of them. Luckily my friend Joanna wanted to do it with me and we trained together. We choose the St. Paddy's Day 5k in Redondo Beach. The course was nice and flat, and scenic -- perfect for our first race! It started in a cute little area of shops and restuarants in Redondo Beach and then went over a block to a street right along the beach.

A few days before the race we knew that the weather was not going to be kind. In fact, LA was predicted to get several inches of rain -- that's A LOT of rain for LA! Of course, this required me to buy more running gear :) I am SO glad I invested in a zip up water proof jacket. I was dry, not too hot and not too cold. Even though it was raining most of the run, I was perfectly fine. I finished in 33 minutes 10 seconds, and considering I stopped once to tie my shoe and once to choke on the water I attempted to drink (while running) at the drink station, I am quite happy with my time. The last 1/4th a mile, I really thought I was going to have to stop. Luckily, just in time, I saw two of my neighbors Branon and Kim, just ahead of me. I called out their name and they urged me to catch up to them. Kim then encouraged me to sprint to the end with Branon. That is exactly what I needed to finish strong! Crossing the finish line, I saw Jeff, standing in the rain with the camera cheering me on. He was so proud of me and I was glad he came to see me in my first 5K!  It was a great experience, and yes, we have already signed up for another race!

Joanna and I before the race (and before the rain)
Rebecca, Daisy, me and Joanna pre-race
Everyone waiting to cross the start line...

You can sorta see me in the black jacket, the finish line is a few yards ahead....
 Group shot with all my neighbors who ran in the race
And nothing like a post race bloody mary to celebrate finishing and St. Paddy's day! We went to my favorite brunch place -- MB Post and had a delicious post-race feast!

1 comment:

AM said...

Way to go Lindsay!! That is a great time!