Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Dolphins!


Our friends Gary and Mina have a beautiful boat (Gary owned Connect TV, who Jeff worked for before it was bought out by DirecTV) and we have been lucky enough to go out on it and enjoy cruising up and down the coast. Recently we saw a huge pod of dolphins. There were literally hundreds. I took a ton of pictures but this is one of my favorites. It was hard to predict when they were going to surface for air. They were feeding on a school of fish and also playing in the wake of the boat. I am pretty sure these are Pacific White Sided Dolphins, which are one of the faster, more acrobatic species. Yes, I really love dolphins!! They are so fun to watch!

Facts from Wikipedia:
The Pacific White-sided Dolphin is extremely active and mixes with many of the other north Pacific cetacean species. It readily approaches boats and bow-rides. Large groups are common; averaging 90 individuals, with supergroups of more than 300. Prey is mainly hake, anchovies, squid, herring, salmon and cod. They have an average of 60 teeth. The gestation period is one year. Individuals live 40 years or more.

2 comments:

Jeremy and Allison Hess said...

Great pic Lindsay! cant believe how many dolphins there are!! reminds me of when you & I went swimming with them in cozumel! well there wern't that many but u know what I mean! ha!

Gina said...

Awesome pic! I REALLY love dolphins too! What a fun experience!